Mian Muhammad Bukhsh Trust (MMBT), a “Not for Profit” philanthropic organization (NPO), established since November 2006 is named after a legendary Sufi Poet of the area. The trust is envisioned to promote the education with focus on women education, provide the health facilities (with a focus on maternal & child health), women empowerment & community development in suburban and rural areas of Jhelum.
- MMBT developed a Girls Primary School at Dhanyala, Jhelum in 1996 and handed it over to Punjab Government. Later upgraded to secondary level, the school is providing education to over 500 girls of the village nearby area.
- MMBT laid foundation of a 120 beds, state of the art hospital at Dhanyala in the year 2007. A Free of Charges Clinic at the Hospital site is functioning since its’ earth breaking. The clinic receives weekly visits of a Consultant Gynaecologist. Over 200,000 deserving patients have been treated at the facility since its’ inception.
- Infrastructure of first phase of the hospital comprising 55 beds, having a focus on Mother & Child health has been completed from the funds raised through donations, to the tune of Rupees 80 Million (without any government grant). Equipping & staffing of the hospital is in process and the facility is scheduled to commence its operations by 28th May 2017 i.e 1st Ramadan 1438Ah.
- MMBT Hospital will have allied training schools for midwives and paramedics.
You are here
According to the 1880 Revenue Survey and the map therein, Dhanyala is situated on a 28- mile long strip of a prehistoric pathway through the Jhelum river basin, which commences from the Grand Trunk Road, built by Sher Shah Suri, and passes through Kala Gujran, Dulmial, Shiekhupur, Sultanpur and Tangrotvillages where it enters the Kashmir. Then running along the banks of the Jhelum/Neelam rivers, it goes beyond the mountains ofMurree and Kohistan, up to the Northern Areas. This sole trade route of those times was dotted throughout by Sara’eys, taverns and ponds, which had been built for facilitating traders, traveling on foot or by animals and carrying merchandise, such as salt and food stuff. The track from Jhelum to Murree, severely degenerated over time, was restored for more organised traveling and transportation facilities during the British era. Dak Bunglows were constructed in 1868 at Tangrot and in 1874 at Sheikhupur by Col. Bristo and Col. Sammuel, respectively. It is established that, a 16-mile road had historically existed, from Jhelum to Sheikhupur, as a significant communication link for transportation, whereas the other 12 miles distance, from Sheikhupur to Tangrot onward to Murree, was covered by mules, horses and camels. The latter portion became redundant in the wake of the construction of the Mangla Dam in 1960.
The Jhelum Basin, situated at the threshold of Kashmir and Pothohar regions, has been known for its agriculture, industry and trade in salt and timber, whereas its human resource was generally employed in the armed forces, police, railways and other government departments. Reportedly extensive migrations to UK and the Middle East took place in the decades of 1960s and 1970s, and there ensued a ﬂow of remittances-induced prosperity, introducing modern living standards, including paved streets and water supply facilities for villages, including Dhanyala, which, with its population of 150 houses and 280 persons in 1880, now counted for more than 650 houses and 3,200 registered voters, and formed a constituent part of the Union Council, Dhanyala, with an overall strength of 17,000 voters. So, the traditional village pond existing over 19-kanal (103,360 Sq. Ft.) piece of land at Dhanyala too had lost its original utility as a reservoir of water for human and animal consumption. It had become rather a pool of dirty, stagnant water and a breeding cause of diseases. It was felt that the valuable pond land could certainly be utilized for value addition and some general welfare projects. Based on the principles of community development through collective consultation, participation, and assistance, an organisation, the Jhelum Valley Development Society (JVDS), was created in 1995 for commissioning general welfare projects, such as educational institutions, civic amenities of sewerage, paved streets, link roads, drainage, etc. JVDS was later merged in the Wadi Citizen Community Board (WCCB), established in 2004.
Under the auspices of the foregoing institutional arrangements of devolution of power for the community uplift and people participation in the community development at gross root level, a primary school for girls was built on 10- kanal (54,400 Sq. Ft.) area of the pond land and its level was raised, six years later, to a high school.
In November 2006, Mian Muhammad Bukhsh Trust (MMBT) was established in the name of the great saint and suﬁ poet of the sub-continent. On 23rd January 2007, the centenary, Health and Community Development were added to the objectives of the Trust, apart from education, repetition. Therefore, the remaining 9- Kanal (48,960 Sq. Ft.) land of the pond was used for the establishment of a 120-bed splendid hospital, which consists of seven basic medical disciplines, serving seven Union Councils, with a rural population of more than 150000 people. It is aimed to raise this facility as a Centre of Excellence for Mother Child Health. This charitable health facility, with its spectacular building, standing on what was a few years ago a stagnant pond, is actually a testimony to the magic spirit of co-operation and participation in the cause of rural development, as much as it is a monumental tribute to the illustrious sage-poet, Mian Muhammad Bukhsh.
Saturday, 23 January 2016,
Research and Narration;
Mushtaq Hussain Bargatt